Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 05:15:56 -0600
From:      "Maildrop" <maildrop@qwest.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Release, Stable, Current

Have a quick question in regards to FreeBSD releases.

The way I am understanding it, is that:

Release (4.5) is the Production quality release
Stable (4.5.X) is the "Beta" (?) quality release
Current (5.0) is the Alpha (high development still going on) quality release

If my assumation above are right, what would be the Production quality
release that includes only major bug fixes/security holes?

Say 4.5 is released, in the Production world for awhile and someone finds a
XYZ expliot in it.  If I cvs down stable, that should include the fix right
(?), but am I also getting a bunch of development / fearture code included
with it that may not be suitable for a production envoriment?

Are all security holes/major bug fixes avaiable via CVS, or does each one of
them have to be applied manually?

Is there a web page, etc that contains all the known issuses since the
Release (4.5) release?

For example, today I installed 4.5 release and after install, synced
/usr/src up with 4.5 Stable just to  see how much has changed... anyways
there was some changes to chmod for example... but not sure if this is a
require patch (ie. major security issuse with it) or if it is a bunch of
"beta" quality development/ fearture added that shouldn't be floating around
in a production envoirment.

Is there a 4.5 "bugfix only" release floating around out there?

Thanks,
Jack