Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:05:01 -1000 (HST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alc@freebsd.org, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Konstantin Belousov <kib@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: panic: UMA: Increase vm.boot_pages with 32 CPUs

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013, Colin Percival wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A HEAD@254238 kernel fails to boot in EC2 with
>> panic: UMA: Increase vm.boot_pages
> on 32-CPU instances.  Instances with up to 16 CPUs boot fine.
>
> I know there has been some mucking about with VM recently -- anyone want
> to claim this, or should I start doing a binary search?

It's not any one commit really, just creeping demand for more pages before
the VM can get started.  I would suggest making boot pages scale with
MAXCPU.  Or just raising it as the panic suggests.  We could rewrite the
way that the vm gets these early pages but it's a lot of work and
typically people just bump it and forget about it.

Thanks,
Jeff