Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:29:55 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 07:51:42AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >   What is SpinOS?  Are you sure it is BSD LFS, or is there own LFS?
>
> An exokernel OS.

> It's written in
> Modula 3 (of all things) and incorporates nullfs and lfs from FreeBSD,
> as well as CAM.

I don't think that "of all things" is particularly fair: their
reasoning for the entire viability of the project is that they rely
on the strict typing and garbage collection of Modula-3 to prevent
user-written kernel extensions from breaking other kernel bits.
You couldn't really do it in C or even C++.  The same logic is used
by the Sun JavaOS folks (Java being Modula-3 in C clothes, that's
hardly surprising.)  The argument is interesting, but a bit too
restrictive to be useful in a general purpose sense, I think.

Now if you were prepared to rely on hardware memory /protection/
without using the hardware memory /mapping/, you could probably
do the same thing in C or C++ (or assembly language).  I believe
that this has been tried in some of the Acorn ARM based OS's
(RiscOS and the Newton OS.)

--
Andrew