Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:23:55 -0800
From:      "Edwin L. Culp" <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>, daeron@wit401305.student.utwente.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CURRENT instability

Quoting Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>:

> "Edwin L. Culp" <eculp@EnContacto.Net> writes:
> > My old K6-2 laptop has this problem and the patch seemed to fix the
> > crashes that I was experiencing under almost minimal load. The down
> > side is that it also brought me a pccard or DEVFS problem so no
> > network.
>
> Uh, no. There's no way this patch can affect the functionality of your
> network adapter, and network interfaces don't care about DEVFS.
>
> > Has this or another fix been committed?
>
> No, Certain People [tm] are opposed to it, though it's not clear why.

I managed to get things in sync enough to get the network working.  Now I'm
making world, runing X and doing several port updates that have been on hold
since the begining of February, all at the same time.  Without your patch it
would have crashed within the first couple of minutes but with it, it's just
chugging along like a happy little K6-2 300, slow but maybe on its way to being
sure again.  Thanks for coming up with such a simple and effective solution.  I
was almost ready to retire this for a Dell 4000e that everyone is talking
about.  But as someone else said, first I would prefer to have a little more
consulting money coming in:-)

It would really be nice to have this committed, if it doesn't break anything, to
not have to be patching every time.

Thanks again,

ed