Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 16:43:06 -0800
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.fastnet>
To:        Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: P6 and PCI

Well, I've been off in the desert for a while, but I don't believe
the situation has changed.  Straight from the horse's mouth, is that
no motherboard without added circuitry to enable inbound posted writes
is going to see PCI I/O bus performance in excess of 5 MB/s sustained.

It is alleged that the HP motherboards supplied in Vectra systems
have this circuitry, but HP is only willing to commit to performance
of it's on-board controllers.  Perhaps reasonably, perhaps not.

Best of luck!  Let us know what you find.

As an aside, my best guess is that all of those benchmarks on
http://www.intel.com and all of the lmbench linux numbers were made
with fixed, but not purchasable, motherboards.

Isn't it an interesting world?

Cheers,
Russell