Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:45:08 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Wayne Knowles <wdk@frc.niwa.cri.nz>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make re-makes for no apparent reason...

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Hi...
>
> 	I know that generally you are supposed to do:
>
> 	make cleandir;make depend;make
>
> 	when rebuilding the source tree, and generally I do, but
> tonight I wanted to make sure that I had completed my compile
> of /usr/src/lib (ie. my recent crashes hadn't happened part way
> through).
>
> 	So, I just did a 'cd /usr/src/lib;make', but its recompiling
> everything from scratch again, as if the existing .o files don't already
> exist, but, as an ls shows, the libraries have already been built:

Something like this happens to me when I use tcsh and have a symbolic
link as /usr/src.  If your shell sets PWD (like tcsh) then you may have to
'unsetenv PWD' to stop make following the wrong path into /usr/obj

I haven't spent much time with this problem, I just worked out what I had
to do to work around the problem.  If anybody has a more permanent
suggestion to avoiding the problem, I would be very grateful.

Wayne
--
  _____    Wayne Knowles                 Title : Systems Programmer
 / o   \/  NIWA Fisheries Research       Usenet: w.knowles@niwa.cri.nz