Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:14:58 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procmail setup question

David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com> wrote:

> PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
> MAILDIR=/var/mail       # You'd better make sure it exists
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/david
> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
> LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail
>
> :0
> * ^To.*bob@*
> bob
>
> :0
> * ^X-Apparently-To.*davidbanning@*
> /usr/david/bsd
>
> the problem is that the mailbox "bob" has it's ownership
> taken over by me, "david". Then bob can't access his mailbox.
> I run fetchmail as user "david", which all my default mail
> goes to.

You will be much better off creating an account for bob, and either letting
him pop his own mail, or do something like:

	:0 H
	*^To.*bob@
	! bob@localhost

This way any mail that is supposed to reach a mailbox readable by bob, will
actually do reach such a mailbox. His own :-)

> Any mail file created by procmail seems to have it's ownership changed
> by the person running fetchmail (which in-turn, runs procmail.)

Yes, this is done for a good reason too.  Imagine procmail writing on random
people's mailboxes.  That sounds insecure!  Creating a new account and
delivering to that account though seems ok [In fact, I do this whole 'deliver
once more' trick with procmail all the time to forward some of the lists I'm
subscribed to my sister's account.  This way it's only me who needs to be
subscribed, and we both receive the mail in our own personal mailboxes.]

-giorgos