Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 17:53:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        developers@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Submissions Request: FreeBSD Monthly Development Status Report

FreeBSD Developers and Contributors,

One of the observations made occasionally about the FreeBSD community is
that although it has many of the benefits of a centralized development
organization, it's hard to get a sense of the architectural direction the
project as a whole is taking, as well as learn about the set of projects
under development.  To try and address this problem, I'm interested in
experimenting with an idea that was kicked around among some of the
developers a few months ago: a monthly status report for the project. This
report would include a brief status statement from developers interested
in sharing information about their progress, both as part of larger
project components (SMPng, TrustedBSD, ...), and at an individual level
and related to personal projects.  As such, this is a solicitation for
text to be added to a first experimental edition, to be published on June
11th.  I'd like for all submissions to be in by June 9th, to allow them to
be chewed through and prettily formatted.  Submissions after the 9th will
be ignored, or bumped to a future month if appropriate.

What I'd like to see for each entry is a project title ("SMPng", "SMPng VM
Lock Pushdown", "KSE Design Work", "TrustedBSD", "TrustedBSD Capabilities
Implementation", "Alpha Port", ...), followed by two to five sentences
describing recent work on the project, perhaps in the last month or two.
Also, the name of the committer submitting the report (or in the event the
primary work is being done by a non-committer, then the non-committer's
name and e-mail address).  If there is a web page for the work, then a URL
would also be useful.  As the names above suggest, there's nothing wrong
with submitting paragraphs for both a larger project, and smaller
components of the project; while developers in multiple projects should
feel free to contribute multiple reports, having ten TrustedBSD status
reports makes no sense, so some coordination would be useful.  While you
can imagine a fancy web-based submission interface, for the purposes of
this experimental pass, I'd like to see the text sent to
robert+freebsd.monthly@cyrus.watson.org.

The goal of this is simply to attempt to improve communication in the
project by providing a vehicle for brief but useful summaries of on-going
work.  This would be in addition to (and maybe eventually submitted via) a
dynamic projects web page.  I don't promise to do it in future months, but
if the results are useful to a moderate number of people, and there are
enough submissions, I will.  If there are comments, please send them to my
privately at rwatson@FreeBSD.org rather than take them to the list, and I
will attempt to summarize.

Thanks,