Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:33:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   more problems w/ fetchmail

Greetings,

I'm still having some trouble w/ fetchamil.  I have posted a message
earlier to both -current and -questions.  Thanks to everyone who has
helped me.  Here's what's happening (or not):  Fetchmail only seems to
work correctly if I run routed.  If I do not use routed then fetchmail
gives the following error:

bash$ fetchmail -av
Querying mail.best.com (protocol POP3) at Wed Apr  2 14:05:11 1997
fetchmail: POP3< +OK BEST Internet PopPlus (version 1.0) host:shellx
fetchmail: POP3> USER bsampley
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Password required for bsampley.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK bsampley has 55 message(s) (163318 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 55 163318
fetchmail: 55 messages at bsampley@mail.best.com.
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2002 octets
reading message 1 (2002 bytes)fetchmail: SMTP connect failed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< Hi,
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.best.com

When it gets to the line reading message 1 it will sit there for about 15
seconds and then give the message SMTP transaction error and then move on
to the next host listed in my .fetchmailrc file.  If I start routed while
this problem is occuring the it suddenly works correctly and D/L's
everything.  If I kill routed and then start fetchmail again then it
works.  I'm using ppp -auto -alias demand to start ppp from my rc.local
file.  I used to start fetchmail with fetchmail -ad 3600 from my .profile
(I know this is probably no the best place to start this, but it works for
me and this is my home system).

One person that responded to my previous posting stated that most likely I
did not have a route to the 'outside world' but the above shows that
fetchmail was able to login to the remote server and determine the number
of un-read messages.  Also, I am able to surf the net using both my FBSD
box w/ Netscape and Lynx prior to starting routed (I removed it from the
/etc/sysconfig file and now start and kill it manually to get fetchmail to
work) and my Win95 box through an eithernet connection into the FBSD box.
I setup both ppp and the connection to the Win95 box following the
instructions from the 'Pendantic ppp primer' in the tutorials section at
www.freebsd.org.

Any ideas?  Oh, BTW, I running 3.0-current (last CVSUPed Sat. morning with
a successfull make world and recompiled kernel).

If anyone needs more info, please email me and I'll send it.

Thanks in advance.

Burton Sampley

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)