Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 15:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rls@hades.id.net (Robert Shady)
Cc:        mal@algonet.se, bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make doesn't like lines with a tab only

> > > the following "Makefile"
> > > --SNIP--
> > > foo: bar
> > > <TAB>xyzzy -o foo bar
> > > <TAB>
> > > --SNIP--
> > >
> > > results in:
> > > "Makefile", line 3: Need an operator
> > > Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> >
> > The only bug here is that your makefile is arguably wrong.  A tab indicates
> > there is to be a command in this location, you have provided no command.
> >
> > Many other makes ignore this arguably erronous line.  I belive POSIX says
> > this shall cause an error.
>
> That may be what POSIX says it should cause, but in real life it causes
> alot of headaches.  Maybe a command line switch to ignore it would be in
> order?  Defaulting, of course, to POSIX.

We know it causes lots of headaches, you should have seen the rash of
commits after the change was made to support this.  But you know what,
our Makefiles for all of /usr/src and all of /usr/ports are clean now
and it probably tooks less than a total of 8 man hours to do it.  If
your Makefile's have this in them they really should be fixed.