Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 06:18:23 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CVS Commits (was: Re: ** HEADS UP ** /dev/[u]random filechanges.)

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 01:50:45PM +1000, Chris Knight wrote:
>	Aegis (http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/aegis/aegis.html)
>is a revision control system that does atomic commits.

Aegis has both pros and cons.  Amongst its advantages, it can stop
commits breaking the world by enforcing the requirement that all
commits must compile and pass a full regression test.  By default, it
also enforces a code review step (even if it's just the author with
his hat at a different angle) - this would give the Project the
option of creating a larger pool of developers who can develop code
but haven't earned the right to commit without someone else
looking over their code.  Finally, since it relies on an external
source control system, we could presumably continue to use CVS (or
RCS) and therefore not lose the repository history.

Amongst the disadvantages are the enforcing of regression tests - a
"make buildworld" is quite expensive when all you've done it to
correct the spelling in a comment.  Also, whilst Aegis supports
multiple developers, I'm not sure that it have the same level of
support for distributed development - I don't believe it has any
equivalent to the CVS client/server.  Finally, at least in the
configurations I've used it, it needs/assumes a specific set of
makefile targets - which would mean substantial re-work of our
Makefiles.

Peter