Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:00:36 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Price <bipolor@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Command to rechown

Mike Price wrote:
> I had to ( chown -R /etc/ ) I to edit the ( pf.conf ), how do I rechowm or
> restore ( /etc ) ?
>
> Can you please send me the command.

Hmm, why did you have to chown an entire directory to edit
one file?  su(1), and, perhaps even better, sudo(8) are meant
for such things AFAIK.

As for restoring permissions on /etc/, mtree(8) is your
friend ... I'd recommend taking a look at the
manpage, however, because IANAE.

However, all disclaimers included, I *think* you want

% cd /
% mtree -U -f /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist

Kevin Kinsey
--
It is now pitch dark.  If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.