Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:58:05 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists_nada@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot@lc-words.com>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update and more information

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On June 30, 2008 2:22:41 PM +0200 Zbigniew Szalbot
> <z.szalbot@lc-words.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I read man freebsd-update but it has not answered my questions. That is,
>> after I have issued freebsd-update fetch/install, where can I find
>> information about if the installed updates require recompiling the
>> kernel or system restart?
>>
>> Thank you in advance!
>
> Maybe I'm confused, but I thought freebsd-update installed precompiled
> binaries of the generic kernel and world.

True, but it also updates the relevant sources if installed (as another
poster said, freebsd-update will only update what you have installed - I
tend to always assume that everybody installs full sources, but that's
just me)

> Therefore, you would need to reboot if the kernel changed.
> Freebsd-update should tell you what will be changed after it finishes
> the fetch.  I don't recall if it also tells you what it installed.

If it tells you it updated /boot/kernel/kernel, you should reboot. If
you are running a custom kernel and you see files getting updated in
/usr/src/sys (mind you, not just the /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh, but
other files too - newvers.sh is always updated to reflect the new -p# in
uname, if you rebuild your kernel) you should rebuild your custom kernel
and reboot.