Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:20:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jhuston1@home.com
Subject:   Re: Tell me how

> Your site says that I need to download the installation disks to start
> the installation. Where are these mysterious disks downloaded from? Your
> site says that after I have completed with the disks, I need to connect
> to the internet via the computer that has barely started installing. I
> am behind a proxy and several other things, are you telling me that I
> can set it up to run from behind a proxy before I get it fully
> installed? (if so I would like to know how.)
> michael Huston

 There is a link named "Getting FreeBSD" - click on it and you
 you will find the "Obtaining FreeBSD" link which points you
 to the FTP site to find the floppy images you need.

 [Perhaps a pointer to the floppies should be nearer the top
 of "Getting FreeBSD?"]

 Once FreeBSD boots (from the floppy) and gets the information
 it needs - it can connect via your proxy to download the remainder
 of the distribution and place it on your disk.

 During the installation, of course, you have to "tell" the
 installation process that you are behind a proxy, what port
 to use, etc...

 Once you've set up the installation, FreeBSD can use several
 communication protocols to get the remaining pieces...

	- Dave Rivers -