Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:52:42 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS=-O and WARN=5

On 2002-08-14 18:58 +0000, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> When I tried make world with CFLAGS="-g -pipe" in make.conf, I got
> a result below.

> ===> bin/df
> cc -pipe -g  -I/usr/src/bin/df/../../sbin/mount   -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wuninitialized -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-extra-args -Werror  -c /usr/src/bin/df/df.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> cc1: warning: -Wuninitialized is not supported without -O
> *** Error code 1

> Is buildworld without CFLAGS=-O not supported?

That's not true, AFAIK.  You should still be able to build world
without any sort of optimization if you didn't use WARNS=5 and
manually crafted your CFLAGS.

* Note: I can't recall where I have seen it, but I also remember
  someone writing that some of the GCC warnings do not work as
  expected without optimizations.  So you might eventually decide that
  it's better to keep at least -O enabled.

- Giorgos