Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:00:15 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alt/meta on toshiba

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:50:15AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Running 4.2-STABLE
> On a Toshiba 4005CDS
>
> I'm an emacs user and would like to use the left alt on my keyboard
> for emacs `meta' key rather than having to use ESC.
>
> It seems pressing the left alt key doesn't send any keysym at all. Not
> only not to emacs which can be checked with `C-h l' after pressing keys,
> but not to the terminal either.
>
> This may not be the most sophisticated way to check but I checked by
> typing: `cat <RET>'
>
> Then typing ALT-b.  All I see is the `b'
> Where as Ctrl-b shows ^b
>
> Is this a hardware thing that cannot be changed or something OS
> related I can do to make the left alt key work for emacs?

Indeed, this is something OS-related.  The kernel does not treat the Alt
keys as Meta at all.  For a patch against 4.x-stable (made against 4.2-STABLE,
but works perfectly well against 4.3-RELEASE or 4.3-STABLE), see
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/bsd/

G'luck,
Peter

--
If there were no counterfactuals, this sentence would not have been paradoxical.