Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:23:38 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We're famous

Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Brett Glass wrote:
> > Maybe they were worried that their worm would fall under
> > the GPL, and they'd have to give away the source. ;-)
>
> You're right -- the GPL, plus the source would show up waaay to easy with
> strings(1).

Something else to consider was a viewpoint a client expressed to me
just this afternoon.  He viewpoint basically was that with Linux, the
security advisories are so numerous and varied, that he doesn't even
pay attention to most of them anymore.  But whenever he sees one about
FreeBSD, he always reads it.  We talked more about this, and what it
coems down to is that, for him, there is no real distinction between
all the different Linux distributions.  They all are "Linux" to him.

If you're looking for recognition for something like a worm, you
wouldn't make it for an OS that gets ignored by those who can get you
the press.  You'd want to make it be effective against the OSes that
people consider the most secure.  If the author were aware of the above
attitude in the business world, choosing something other than Linux is
merely an advertising tactic.