Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:50:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        robin@is.co.za
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/console

> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > Does anyone have the correct permissions for /dev/console handy. Programs
> > like xconsole (or xterm -C) have never worked for me.
> >
> > At the moment, /dev/console is
> >
> >     crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,   0 Apr 23 11:09 /dev/console
> >
> > which is obviously wrong. All I really want is for console messages to
> > come up in one of my xterms when in X (which I start with 'startx', not
> > xdm).
>
> These permissions are fine.  In order to get xconsole working add yourself to
> the "operator" group by editing /etc/group.  As an "operator" you can access
> the stiffy drive, shut the machine down and run xconsole without having to su
> or be root.

Just tried that, and it doesn't work. However, interestingly enough,

    % ls -l `which xconsole`
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  10  16384 Nov  3 00:24 /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole*

Shows that xconsole is in a group with no name. On my system, 'operator'
is group #5, and I certainly haven't changed that since installation. Besides,
surely xconsole would need to be setuid for this to work.

I thought the whole point was that ordinary users should be able to take
the console. As documented in LINT. . .

Cheers though,

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[       Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They don't like it.        ]ENTP