Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:57:48 -0800
From:      4Front Technologies <dev@opensound.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   HDaudio support in FreeBSD6

Hi Guys,

The problem we are seeing with the HDAudio driver in FreeBSD is that
somehow the FreeBSD is putting the device into some kind of sleep state.

We see timeouts from the device.

hdaudio: RIRB timeout
hdaudio_mixer_attach: Codec #0 is not responding
hdaudio: Codec attach failed (-5)
oss: Probing the hardware for Intel High Definition Audio (Azalia)
controller failed.

The same driver code seems to work perfectly in Linux, Solaris and
OpenBSD that we also have installed on the same machine.

We've tried to see if it's a OSS thing or FreeBSD thing but the code
looks a-ok because it works in OpenBSD/Solaris/Linux, so I'm not sure
what might the problem be.

I suspect it may be how FreeBSD handles PCI-Express bus.

If someone from the kernel group is interested in helping us solve this
problem, I'll be happy to work with them fix the problem.

Best regards

Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530		URL: www.opensound.com
Fax: (310) 202 0496 		Email: info@opensound.com