Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:07:19 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
To:        Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@sun-fish.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP Question

Stefan Lambrev wrote:

> man carp:
>
>    net.inet.carp.preempt     Allow virtual hosts to preempt each other.  It
>                              is also used to failover carp interfaces as a
>                              group.  When the option is enabled and one of
>                              the carp enabled physical interfaces goes
> down,
>                              advskew is changed to 240 on all carp inter-
>                              faces.  See also the first example.  Disabled
>                              by default.

Yes, I had read that.
Since this two boxes are, amidst other things, acting as routers, I do
want the interface pair to go into master state all at once.
However I had understood that, once the other box comes up again, the
two interfaces which had switched should go back to backup state and be
masters on the alive-again host.
In other words, after one server solved its troubles, I should have the
initial status again.
How can I accomplish this?

BTW, I used to have this working on 4.x using the now discontinued
freevrrpd port. I can't believe this is not possible anymore now.

  bye & Thanks
	av.