Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 16:05:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@Physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, mango@communique.net, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loopback and multicast messed up on /etc/sysconfig ?

>On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, J Wunsch wrote:
>
>> As Raul Zighelboim wrote:
>> >
>> > # route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface ${hostname}"
>> > # route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"
>> >
>> > If I uncomment this line in sysconfig, the system will not boot.
>> > (attaching a monitor/keyboard to the pc will allowed me to continue the
>> > boot process by typing <ctrl>-C, but no multicast nor loopback oute will
>> > exist.
>>
>> Are you using /etc/resolv.conf?  Does your nameserver respond to the
>> reverse query for 224.0.0.0?  Did you wait 45 seconds for the DNS
>> request timing out?
>>

>I've been silently a victim of this for a long time.  I have a private, 2
>machine network, with one machine doing a nameserver, the other
>resolver.  Could you suggest a line for the nameserver that would
>eliminate this?  I'd really appreciate it.
>
>I _never_ realized it might be a multicast thing ....

I've seen this too.  I added something equivalent to
localhost.rev for multicast.

In named.boot I have:

primary    0.0.224.IN-ADDR.ARPA                         multicast.rev

and multicast.rev has the following in addition to the SOA, and NS
records:

0       IN      PTR     multicast.<mydomain>.

I haven't had any problems since doing this.

David