Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:41:14 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ssh problem upgrading to 4.2-stable

So, yesterday we upgraded the last machine running 3.5 here to 4.2 stable
(CVSuped on saturday I believe). All went very smoothly and everything runs
fine except for ssh. We are using openssh, and it rejects peoples
passwords with "Permission denied, please try again."

I seem to recall reading that password encryptionc hanged from MD5 to DES
between 3.x and 4.x - and I suspect this could be the problem. The
/usr/lib/libcrypt.so file is a link to libdescrypt.so, so I assume
we are now using DES passwords. Old users have MD5 passwords, but new
users are created with DES passwords. Using 'passwd' however converts them
to MD5. I have checked auth.conf, mailing list archives and done a web
search and am running out of ideas.

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely here ?

-pete.