Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:01:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   Looking for logic and rationale of fs partition conventions.

Can anyone fill me in (and probably others too), as to the logic and
rationale of the fs partition naming conventions of BSD from 4.3,
Tahoe, Reno, 4.4, 4.4-Lite, and FreeBSD?

I understand ``a'' is the root partition, ``b'' the swap partition,
and ``c'' the entire disk.  After that, d/e/f/g/h sort of go every
which way, with no particular rhyme or reason.  ``g'' is often used
for the remaining /usr partition, but there does not seem to be much
clear reasoning as to why.  I would like to understand that rhyme
and reason.

Also, what is the convention of fs splitting between drives?
The table in the 4.4SMM (sec. 2.5.2) suggests some possiblities,
but is there any other rationale behind the choices?  How things
might be affected loadwise on singleuser workstations vs heavy
servers, is probably very different.  I would like to understand
more of the reasoning of these conventions.

Thanks

Bob Keys