Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:50:00 -0500
From:      pippo@bellnet.ca
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win files from *nix?

At 02:42 AM 2/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:05:54 -0500
>pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
>
> > How can I browse Windows from Unix?
> > I'm using FreeBSD 4.7, Samba, and KDE3. I'd like to be able to browse
> > also from command line.
> > I have not found instructions on use of smbclient-win32 and do not
> > want to use sharity. smbclien-win32 comes with and exe file and cygwin
> > dll's - but what are you supposed to do with them, copy the dll's to
> > system or system32 foler and just run the exec? and then what?
> > I don't care if I sound stupid, but surely somebody could suggest
> > where to find the information? Google was of no help. :((
> > Thanks,
> > PJ
> >

>Depends where your windows is. Assuming its on another box, samba should
>be able to do it; it can be both client and server. The win box should
>be set up to sharing (in this case the win is the samba/netbios server
>not the*nix!), for the CLI on your *NIX (samba client in this case) you
>can use the smbclient program which is an ftp like interface to samba
>shares(beit on a NIX or a Win box). Not sure if this is what you mean.

Not quite. I have samba on FreeBSD and would like to see the windows file
on anothe machine on the Lan. I do have FreeBsd on another machine (this
one) and I can mount the Windows files even on a FastTrack raid array(1)
access, copy & write (if I remember right) files. But how to do the same
from the *nix on the Lan?

>I don't know cygwin (to be run from the win box I reckon; I think this
>is more for when you want an X-in-a-window from a *NIX client onto a
>Win box), never tried it.

Personally, I have never needed it as i have postgres & other stuff on the
FreeBSD machine. :))

Thenks,
PJ