Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 19:40:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk (David Alan Gilbert)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About to go SCSI - advice?

As David Alan Gilbert wrote...

> Peter spoke thus:
>
> > No, Joerg.  Any device that can become an initiator must supply
> > terminator power (so Simon must have more than one device with
> > TERMPWR to meet the letter of the spec).  Other devices can as long
> > as they don't exceed the total maximum current (which is huge - I
> > think it is something like 5 amps and is driven by regulatory

This highly depends on what you use for the SCSI bus. I've seen
eh hum interesting things happen with 6 SCSI devices all feeding
TERMPWR to a single printed circuit backplane that got shorted.
All devices are fused with 1 or 1.5 Amps. Printed wiring does not
like that (and most likely ribbon cable also has problems).

> > My intuitive opinion is that the host adapter and the devices at
> > either end of the chain should provide TERMPWR.
>
> Our problem originally started when we found a device which wouldn't
> work (at all - wouldn't even respond to identify) unless it had

Some harddrives need termpower to start spinning.

> termpwr when it was switched on; so you had to switch the source of
> termpwr on first and then the drive.
>
> 50% of the SCSI users in the world say you should have 1 term power device,

At least one, being the initiator as per SCSI-2 standard.

> 50% of the SCSI users say that you can have as many as you like,
> and the other 80% say termpwr - what?

See the shorting issue.

> To make life bareable we turned termpwr on on that drive enabling it to
> be switched on; but the docs with our Adaptec don't say >ANYTHING<
> about termpower - they don't say where the fuse is, how to turn it on/off,
> whether it should be on/off etc.

Newer cards tend to have self-restoring fuses. Look for small obscure
metal thingy (approx 0.4" square). That might be it.

Wilko