Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:54:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mirrored root fs?

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:27:21AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > I'd like to have a mirrored root partition.  I tried ccd(4) but the boot
> > blocks couldn't find the fs.  Any idea how much work it would take to
> > enable booting a ccd root?  Also, does vinum already support this?
>
> I've moved ccdconfig and ccd.conf to /boot and made /boot its own FS,
> wiht the intention of doing what you want to do.  I never got around to
> testing this setup. :-(

That is suboptimal for me since I'd still have to manually mirror the
/boot partition (dd) every time I updated the kernel.  Not a huge problem
but not quite what I want to do.

The way I tested this was take a second drive, disklabeled it accordingly:

   disklabel ad2s1 to create an 'a' partition
   ccdconfig ccd0 128 none /dev/ad2s1a
   disklabel -w ccd0c auto
   newfs /dev/ccd0c
   cp / to ccd0c

Thus there's a one-drive ccd partition.  I added boot blocks and attempted
to boot it but got a "not ufs" error.  The ccd partition format is
different from a normal ufs partition. My question was "how different?"
and "how much work to have the boot blocks find the right offset to the
fs?"  ccdconfig is on /sbin so post kernel load should have worked fine.

-Nate