Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:04:23 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Markup for ports

Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com> writes:
>   I support this in general, but more thought needs to be placed on
> how this will look without the benefit of a hyperlink.  Another
> example of dependence on hyperlinks is the use of <xrefs> being
> printed out as file:/// in the printed version of the Handbook which
> doesn't look very good.  It seems that many sentences are constructed
> in the handbook such that they depend on the hyperlink for proper
> context.  I don't want anything to encourage that practice.
>
>   "Other interfaces, like databases/tkgnats should also work nicely."
>
>   This is pretty informal.  Will the markup given to your new <port>
> tag be sufficient to clue in new users that we are talking about a
> FreeBSD port?  Or is more verbiage necessary, such as :
>
>   "Other interfaces, like the port databases/tkgnats should also work
> nicely."

Okay, but this is up to the author of that sentence.  <port> is akin
to <filename>; just like the latter can be abused, so can the former.
The hyperlink is just an extra bonus; the real point is to have more
precise markup.  If you think the hyperlink will encourage dependence
on it, I'm fine with <port> being another name for <filename>.