Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:40:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Check Point FW-1

David Talkington wrote:

> >What is really the difference is being able to dial 1-800-FIREWALL and
> >have someone help you out, etc.
> >Darren
>
> Yeah, I wonder if my (item b) instinct was unfair.  David Pick
> mentioned herein the possibility that the company might not even WANT
> the expertise to be in-house, and while his scenario was pretty ugly,
> it suggests a more benign one ... if the company goes with an
> open-source solution, and you're the only one on staff who knows how
> to use it, they are then dependent on your talent. Great for you, but
> bad for them, if turnover is high. At least a purchased solution
> ensures some kind of support no matter who leaves the company.
>
> Your thoughts on this?  Seems like a valid concern, and not one that I
> had considered.  (Perhaps I'm naive ... )

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to sell them on the open source
route, then parlay it into a consulting business.  ;^)

It is a viable concern from the business standpoint.  A part of the problem
is the insistence of short-sighted businesses in not having two-deep training
on essential technologies.  Contracting an outside firm is supposed to gain
this two- (or more) deep support, with only the staffing costs that you
actually need.  Perhaps you could find a local firm that provides such
consulting as a backup, and pay the small fee to keep them up to date on
your configuration so they can take over, at least temporarily, if you get
hit by a bus.