Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:36:09 +0900 (JST)
From:      sanpei@sanpei.org (MIHIRA Yoshiro)
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        fjoe@husky.iclub.nsu.ru, luigi@iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sanpei@sanpei.org, fwkg7679@mb.infoweb.ne.jp
Subject:   Re: ESS1868 patches

brian@Awfulhak.org wrote
>> > Patches for luigi sound driver code to support ESS1868 (and probably
>> > ESS688, ESS1668) are available at http://iclub.nsu.ru/~fjoe.
>> > Currently these patches are tested only with ESS1868 PNP sound card.
>> > 22Khz playback is not supported (only 44Khz stereo was tested -- i just
>> > wanted to play my mp3's) -- will be done soon. Full duplex is not
>> > supported. Recording stuff was not tested. ESS1668 cards probably need
>> > some patches in probing code.
>>
>> I've just tried this on a Sony laptop - it works well, and stops my
>> mic from screaming (feedback) murder if I haven't already switched it
>> down.

  Mr. Kurosawa<fwkg7679@mb.infoweb.ne.jp> and I are developing Sound
driver for ESS18xx with Luigi driver.  Latest snapshot is in
experimental directory of 2.2.8-RELEASE:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.8-RELEASE/xperimnt/ESS/

  But our current driver has problem, I think fjoe's drive also have
same problem at heavy load.

Current Problem:
         Some time (CPU was heavy load?), sound change to white
         noise.
         And also with using mpg123 player and selected some files,
         when one file is ended and change to another file,
         also sound change to white noise...
---
  Our source code is managed by CVS.

http://www.jp.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ESS/?cvsroot=freebsd-jp

and you can get latest snap files via CVSup from
cvsup.jp.FreeBSD.ORG, jp-ess as collection name.

Cheers.
MIHIRA Yoshiro