Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:43:01 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        pete@ns.altadena.net (Pete Carah)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arp lookup problems on -stable

>I have a system configured as a router (ethernet p-p connection to
>a cisco 7k on one port, 4 virtual host addresses on the other ethernet,
>one of which is the "expected" router port for others on that
>net.  All works fine and it routes as expected, but with all kernel
>revs since sometime in May it gives me a bunch of messages every
>30 seconds (independent of whether I'm running gated, routed, or
>none):
>
>/kernel: arplookup 207.67.184.106 failed: could not allocate llinfo
>/kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 207.67.184.106
>
>repeated for all of the addresses on the internal network.
>
>The messages are annoying but don't "seem" to affect operation?
>
>What's going on?

   This indicates, that, for whatever reason, arp was not able to find a route
to reply to an incoming arp request. This is usually caused by a misconfigured
netmask on either the router or the client. The arps get broadcast okay, but
the netmask prevents a reply on the same interface. Hope this helps - I'm very
pressed for time right now.

-DG

David Greenman