Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:10:03 -0500
From:      "S. William Schulz" <ss@ssLinux.com>
To:        Chojin <freebsd@tarakan-network.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache on 4.5-Stable Query

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 05:23:09PM +0100, Chojin wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Hope this is the right place for this.
> >
> > I installed a system with 4.4-CURRENT (I think), then today cvsup'ed it
> > to 4.5-STABLE, built a custom kernel, and installed everything.  When
> > doing the mergemaster, the new /etc/master.passwd had a www user in it.
> > Figuring I'd be adding apache, I added that user.
> >
> > Now, I've cvsup'ed the ports tree, installed mysql and am now trying to
> > install the apache port.  make install errors out upon finding that a
> > www user already exists.
> >
> > Would the recommendation be that I just dump that user and try to
> > reinstall?  Should I report that error anywhere else?  Or have I done
> > something incorrectly.
> >

> Just remove www user
> rm www
> (do not remove any 'home' directory if asked)
>
> Then you can install Apache port.

Well, I initially commented out the two 'exit 1' lines in the install
script and it installed fine.  But then apache wouldn't start, giving an
bad user name: www error.

I then removed the www user and group, reinstated the 'exit 1' lines and
reinstalled, and everything worked.  Seems to be working now.

ss