Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:10:08 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <pavel@sdios.sea.ru>
Subject:   Re: SLIP with the leased line

Hi!

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999 20:52:30 +0400 "Antipov's family" <ant@online.sea.ru> wrote:

>Now I try to setud SLIP connection between FreeBSD 3.2 and Cisco. The
>configuration of Cisco is autorized and correct.
>Two modems was programmed to automatically connection. I.e. leased line
>ready.
>But I can't to connect with Cisco.
>In all examples there is information about dialing to ISP via phone.
>
>Tell me please what can I do to connect to Cisco via leased line?

Well, i'll show you parts of my config files, they worked for
for Cisco and FreeBSD router equally. And some comments...
Oh, and note also that i'm using four-wire leased-line modems
(Zelax 115), but following can also apply for null-modem
connection (i hope...8-))

In file /etc/rc.conf:

### Basic network options: ###
hostname="ns.binep.ac.ru"       # Set this!
[...]
network_interfaces="ep0 ep1 ep2 lo0 sl0"
[...]
ifconfig_sl0="inet xxx.yyy.zzz.YOU xxx.yyy.zzz.CISCO netmask 255.255.255.??? ..."
#                              ^^^             ^^^                       ^^^ ^^^
#                           your end          Cisco's              Put what's needed,
#                                                                     ask your ISP
[...]
inetd_enable="YES"              # Run the network daemon dispatcher (or NO).
inetd_flags=""                  # Optional flags to inetd.
#
# named.  It may be possible to run named in a sandbox, man security for
# details.
#
named_enable="YES"              # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="named"           # path to named, if you want a different one.
#named_flags="-u bind -g bind"  # Flags for named
[...]
defaultrouter="xxx.zzz.zzz.CISCO"       # Set to default gateway (or NO).
[...]
gateway_enable="YES"            # Set to YES if this host will be a gateway.
router_enable="NO"              # Set to YES to enable a routing daemon.
#             ^^^ If this is standalone host, you don't need routed
[...]

In file /etc/host.conf:

# $Id: host.conf,v 1.5 1998/11/16 02:02:30 jkh Exp $
# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.
bind
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

Also make proper /etc/resolv.conf file, see man 5 resolver

In file /etc/ttys:

[...]
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
[...]
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" dialup  off secure
#^^^ This is tty i'm using, make getty off here ^^^,
#    i don't need it on the hardwired line, but ask your ISP...
[...]

Create file /etc/start_if.sl0:
#
slattach -f -l -s 115200 /dev/ttyd3
#           ^^ use this if you are using null-modem
#              or leased-line modem

Hope this may help (if i don't miss something...).

Regards,
Goshik.