Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:53:03 -0400
From:      Sunny Dubey <dubeys@bxscience.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bridging Questions

hey,

I need to setup a firewall using briding, and I've been reading the handbook,
but a few questions have poped up.

First, the handbook states that not all NIC's are supported using bridging,
it also states to read the bridge(4) man page, however the man page doesn't
list which cards will or won't work under bridging.  Is there a list of cards
that will work under bridging??  Will two Intel ExtherExpress Pro/100 PCI
cards work?

Additionally, the hand book states that there is an option to allow non-IP
packets (like ARP) to flow through the bridge.  Is this something I should
concern myself with, or just not bother at all.

Lastly, should I use ipfw or IPFILTER (ipf).  Would either one of these be an
advantage for a bridge based firewall?

thanks for your help

Sunny Dubey