Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:35:53 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        "James A. Coulter" <jacoulter@jacoulter.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Found This In /usr - @LongLink

On Mar 3, 2005, at 8:08 PM, James A. Coulter wrote:

> I found this in /usr on two FBSD 4.11 boxen:
>

> ----------   1 root  wheel   105 Dec 31  1969 @LongLink
>
> One box is my firewall/router/gateway attached to a cable modem and
> the other is behind the firewall.
>
> The 1969 timestamp and lack of file attributes is making the small
> hair on the back of my neck standup.
>
> Is this normal?  If so, what the heck is it?
>
> Or have I been rooted?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim
>
> --
> James A. Coulter
> jacoulter@jacoulter.net
> http://jacoulter.net

James,

I'm not trying to be rude, but a 30 second search through Google
results for @LongLink turned up the following entry (on the first
results page):

Quote from
http://www-unix.globus.org/mail_archive/discuss/2002/10/msg00352.html:

 >I learned that @LongLink is a GNU tar's way to handle long path
 >names. Apparently GNU tar now has to be used to untar some packages.
 >I'd like to suggest that the configuration script check and make sure
 >it gets the GNU tar, the same way it makes sure it gets Perl 5-005 or
 >higher.
 >
 >Now that I've installed the GNU tar on my system, what files do I
 >need to modify to invoke it, not the vendor tar, in order to continue
 >building for the information services. I'd rather not to start over
 >if I could help it.
 >
 >--
 >Wendy Lin
 >IT Research Computing Services
 >af5@taiyang.cc.purdue.edu
 >http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu/~af5/

Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson