Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:58:12 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jaime Bozza <wheelman@nuc.net>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, rjebara@palnet.com
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID for FreeBSD

Jaime Bozza wrote:

> I'm not sure about the speed of the SmartRAID V stuff (U2W suite), but the
> configuration is all done through the BIOS now.  No DOS App is needed to
> configure.
>
> It may be worth a second look.

Speed wise, we've found our "entry level" DPT system to be pretty damned
quick, but that's our personal oppinion :)

We don't have a SmartRAID V unit, so I could be speaking out of turn here...
But, I doub't the BIOS can aid and assist you with a 'live' system, to the
point of changing hot-swap configurations / drives etc. without restarting the
O/S (how else are you going to get into the BIOS when a drive has failed
without restarting? :)

The BIOS will take you so far, but without native FreeBSD tools, your back to
the "wait for the beeps", then schedule a 'convienent' time for the box to be
downed to sort things out... :-(  (via the BIOS or otherwise, until theres
native FreeBSD utils :-(

-Karl