Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 02:11:22 -0700
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mergemaster [was: Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels]

Matthew Dillon wrote about mergemaster:
-----------------
I also like the idea someone posted in regards to having a list of
    files 'typically never modified by the sysop', e.g. /etc/defaults/*,
    /etc/rc*, and so forth, though with the patches I have so far that
    particular problem is not so big a deal any more (at least not for
me).
-----------------

Mergemaster automatically updating the various default files, displaying
to the admin only the files the admin actually might want to see during
a normal upgrade, would be quite desirable to me. What would also be
helpful, though this may be diff's fault, would be if there were less
tendency for mergemaster to combine changes the admin likely wants to
make (adding a new user the OS requires) with changes the admin does not
want to make (removing surrounding entries out of master.passwd),
requiring the admin to make a note of mergemaster's suggestions followed
by editing the file by hand.

Thanks,
--Lucky Green