Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:05:22 +1100
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 problems

On Mon, Dec 01, 1997 at 05:08:46PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>> cross posted to questions and bugs.. hope that's ok ]
>
> Erm, not really - better to leave it in -questions until you're sure
> it's a bug. :)

Well, I'm sure it's not a question, so I'm following up to -hackers.
I've seen this on my machines several times in the last few days,
since upgrading to a new version of -current.  I don't know if it's
the same problem, but I do know that it's happening frequently on
different machines, when it didn't do before, so I'd call it a bug.
Since it appears to be happening both on -current (my machines) and
2.2.5-RELEASE (Archie's machine), I'm copying -hackers in the hope of
getting most people without spamming them.  OK?

>> Now I'm seeing two problems that have occasionally plagued me before.
>> They seem to have been around for a long time...
>>
>> Problem #1: switching virtual consoles while X is running
>
> I've never had a problem with this at all, not under any of our
> significant branches.  You'd need to clarify which X server you're
> using and with what card.

1.  freebie.lemis.com:  Running Accelerated-X 1.4 with ATI Mach 64 and
    Matrox Millenium I 4 MB.  The X server configuration hasn't
    changed in 8 months.

2.  papillon.lemis.com: Running XFree86 3.3.2 on a C&T 65545.

I think you'll agree that these environments are sufficiently
different to point away from the server.  In each case, I've had
lockups when changing VTs.

I know this isn't enough to identify a bug, but it should be a "heads
up" that something might be wrong.

Greg