Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 00:13:51 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how much ram/cpu/swap to run emacs/xemacs effectively?

j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> types:
> All holy wars aside, what do i need to run xemacs effectively?  Or, if
> someone can convince me xemacs is a waste of time and i should be learning
> gnu emacs, what would be the answer to the question applied to gnu emacs?

I prefer xemacs to gnu emacs. If you can run Netscape effectively -
even the stripped-down Navigator version - you can run either one
effectively. No, that's not right - even if you *can't* run NN
effectively, you can run either one effectively, as they don't require
an X environment to run in, and your X environment is liable to take
more resources than emacs.

I'd say that you can probably run it on anything you can install
FreeBSD on, if you run it outside of X.

	<mike

P.S. to jcm - apologies for the empty letter.