Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:29:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, SimsS@Infi.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> However, I will definitely scream if anyone removes sio2/sio3.  Disabled by
> default, MAYBE.  Removed, NO.  I have seen far too many people who have
> three or four STANDARD SERIAL PORTS and sio2/3 directly map to COM3/4.
> There should be NO reason to screw around with this.  These lines support
> standard PC hardware.  If you remove them, remove sio1 too because you
> obviously only need one serial port to do an install.

I'll compromise with you - we keep ed1, which I'm going to fold over
since it seems so many WD/NE have a conflicting view of what a
"standard setting" is.  sio2/3 have already gone and I can hardly
accept the argument that 4 port PCs are any kind of norm.  I've seen
literally hundreds of different PC configurations and in all but a few
very rare cases, it's always the same 2 ser/1 par/1 game combo.
Enabling sio3 can also give you a bad headache if you have an ATI
chipset, and it was already disabled in GENERIC as it was, so really
I've only removed one port.

					Jordan