Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 04:35:10 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org>, <cvs-all@FreeBSD.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/man Makefile man.c src/etc/mtree BSD.local.dist BSD.usr.dist BSD.x11-4.dist BSD.x11.dist

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 05:11:44PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> > As Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > > All you need to do is to change the ownership on catpages holding
> > > directories back to ``man'', and install man(1) setuid ``man''.
> >
> > ...until the next "make installworld".  That's why i'm asking for
> > a knob in /etc/make.conf.  setuidperl can get its suid bit `sticky'
> > by the same way.
> >
> Hmm, can't you live with a custom gnu/usr.bin/man/man/Makefile?  :-)

No, since installworld will change the ownership of the catpages
directories back to root.  You also need to modify src/etc/mtree/*.
Then you will probably find that installing packages changes the
ownership of the catpage directories back to root, unless the packages
are old.  People without local changes will probably find that installing
old packages changes the ownership of the catpage directories back to
man :-).  I'm used to installing packages clobbering my policy of
not having any catpage directories.

Bruce