Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:41:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Jason Brazile <jason@netcetera.ch>
To:        imp@harmony.village.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make bug? (dependency names with '$')

Warner Losh wrote:
> This does sound like a bug in our make :-(.

A quick update:

This bug does not occur with NetBSD make. I spent a couple of hours
diffing the sources (there are a lot more differences than I expected)
to see if there was any one small patch that would make things work for
FreeBSD, but I wasn't successful. There are many patches in NetBSD make
that deal specifically with '$', but apparently just adding these is
not sufficient. I would need to get below this superficial view to see
what's going on.

There is a person with login name "will" who made a CVS log entry that
says:
	Assume MAINTAINER.  I will be taking the job of merging
	NetBSD/OpenBSD improvements (including :C & :L, among others).
	After that, I'll be coming up with other ways to improve
	make(1).

If he is still the make maintainer for FreeBSD, can someone give me a
full email address for him?

Thanks,
Jason