Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:07:53 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config - passing flags to a PCI device

Roger wrote
> > Is it possible to pass flags from a kernel config to a PCI device
> > I would like them in the bt848/878 driver.
> > eg, device bktr0 flags 0x0103

Mike wrote
> No.  You should be detecting this automatically
> anyway; that's what PCI is for.

I agree you can read a manufacturer and model number from PCI chips.
Very usefull too.
In my case, I need the flags for things you cannot discover from the
PCI chipset.

CASE 1: The bt848 frame grabber opens in NTSC or PAL mode.
Opening in the 'wrong mode' can lock up the bt848 chipset and hang the
PC.
(believe me, it took 2 weeks to trace this hardware 'feature')
Currently there is a kernel option, "BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT" which
effects all instances of the driver. I need specific flags to each bt848
card.
(just like you can specify flags 0x80ff80ff to the IDE controller)

CASE 2: On the Bt848 based frame grabbers, all you can get back from the
PCI probe is "Manufacturer - Brooktree" and "model - BT848"
Each of the different TV cards based on the bt848 use different tuner
types.
There is no way to probe the card to determine the tuner type or the OEM
of the TV
card.
Currently, there are more kernel options and even some sysctls to
specify this to the
kernel driver. I would like this to be in a flags setting for each card.

So, back to the question. How can I pass flags to a PCI device?

Bye
Roger