Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:03:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Lucas Reddinger" <lucas@wlwhosting.com>
To:        <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hang on Boot (still)

>:D

I booted the two floppies again. I tried what you said. hw.eisa_slots="0".
It got farther this time. I got a full dmesg. However, it was followed by
this:

fault virtual address = 0x7
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instructor pointer    = 0x8:0xc01f0cc9
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xcf2a3788
frame pointer         = 0x10:0xcf2a3794
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = 1 (sysinstall)
trap number           = 12
panic: page fault

Doing a hw.eisa_slots="1" resulted in the same problem. So I decided to
try a 5.0-RELEASE CD. I tried hw.eisa_slots="0", which resulted in the
same crappy error I always got with 5.0-R. Then I remembered that ACPI
wasn't disabled in 5.0-R by default. so I used the hint and disabled it. I
got a lot farther, but it eventually hung with a message like "cbb0: Card
not supported", then it would reboot itself after a few seconds. So I
decided to try a few other hints. It ended up that this combination of
variables on my 5.0-RELEASE would get me booted and into sysinstall:

hw.eisa_slots="0"
hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
hint.pcic.0.disabled=1

So, disabling pcic0 did the trick. Then, I decided to go back to my
snapshot and try this. However, I got the same page fault as described
above. So what happened between 5.0-R and -C? I'll get my 5.0-R installed,
and then I'll try to make world.

Lucas Reddinger

--
Lucas Reddinger