Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 11:28:06 +0200
From:      Thomas Widlundh <tw@ettnet.se>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Name

Greg Lehey wrote:
> People have told you how to change it.  I haven't seen anybody explain
> what it means: this domain name is visible world-wide, and it needs to
> be registered.  If you don't have a domain name, leave it empty.

First I am to Thank every of You who gave me an answer.
Now Greg,
I'm not shure what You are talking about.
Do You mean a name in the Internet like the name of my ISP, ettnet.se?

I mean the name which comes up during boot, just before the login
prompt.
I'm to login to a machine with the name mydomain.my.etc.

Erlier I had Caldera Base 1.1 on my HD. During installation I got this
question where I could
change the name my.mydomain.etc to what I wanted. I didn't know and
understand it at the time so
I typed tw. The result was a very slow boot. The machine stopped at
sendmail for a long while
and then continued.
I was told that that was because sendmail tried to find this name and
wasn't pleased with
my tiny "tw". It wanted a long name like this my.mydomain.etc with these
two periods.
Sendmail continued the boot after a time out.
I changed the name to a longer one, end sendmail was pleased and booted
up fast.

In BSD i changed the name somewhere, can't recall where, and sendmail is
stopping like in Linux.
Then, after a minute or so, sendmail seems to time out and continue.

Thomas