Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 07:23:23 +1000
From:      Mike Nielsen <miken@zip.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disk labels and newfs

I apologize if this is a repeat.  I posted this message back in
February, but then was unable to receive any replies until recently.
I've checked the archives, but this question and its answers don't show
up, so maybe...

Anyway, for those of you who may have seen/answered this before, my
apologies.

When I first installed FreeBSD (2.0.5, but I'm now on 2.1-STABLE) on my
1.6Gb disk, I had a 300Mb dos
partition.  Subsequently, I added a 2nd hard disk, and moved most of the
dos stuff over to it.  I thus wanted to reduce to a minimum the dos
slice, and put a FreeBSD filesystem in the remaining space.

Here's where I've gotten to so far:

bash# fdisk /dev/wd0
******* Working on device /dev/wd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=3158 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=3158 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
sysid 4,(Primary DOS with 16 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 61425 (29 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 60/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 616896, size 2566368 (1253 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 612/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 61488, size 555408 (271 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 61/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 611/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
bash#

It's partition 2 that I want the file systems on.  (It shows up as a
device: /dev/wd0s3).

But...

bash# disklabel -r /dev/rwd0s3
Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)
bash#

So my question:  I'm a bit lost as to how I actually get a FreeBSD
filesystem on this slice and create the devices.  I can't quite
understand the manual pages clearly enough to know what to do next.  Can
you please get me pointed in the right direction?

Thank you.

Regards,

--
Mike Nielsen