Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:34:55 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hurd" <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
To:        "Koji" <koji@ciberteca.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: information of every kld module

> Hi, i have a lot of modules on /modules directory but where I can find
> information about each module?
> The module's names are not very intuitive

Reading LINT will help you out... generally, they have the same name as an
optional line in the kernel config.  Also, some of them have a prefix:

if_	Interface (NICs etc.)
ng_	NetGraph (Not sure where NetGraph came from but it's networking stuff
like ppp, the packet filter, etc...)
snd_	Sound card drivers

And others have a suffix:

_saver - console screen saver

If you can't figure it out from that, check for a man page... and you should
be able to figure out what every module there is for.