Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:10:27 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: static IP via DHCP and multiple NICs

Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com> probably said:
> } > group {
> } >   use-host-decl-names on;
> } >
> } >   host laptop1.yourdomain.net {
> } >     option dhcp-client-identifier "laptop1";
> } >     option host-name "laptop1";
> } >     fixed-address laptop1.yourdomain.net;
> } >   }
> } > }

You can just use;

}

> } Is there a way to restrict MAC addresses while retaining the above
> } goals?

> One would think adding a:
> hardware ethernet <mac address>;
> line in the host stanza on the server would suffice.

One would think incorrectly. The two terms are not anded together,
(either will work) so you will get that IP if you match the MAC or you
match the dhcp-client-identifier.

DHCP isn't a security method, if you want filter MACs then do it
elsewhere. If you want to get into really hairy configurations,
look at classing but I wouldn't recommend it.

This isn't a FreeBSD specific question, nor a -mobile specific
question, anyway. If you want isc-dhcpd configuration help, they
run an dhcp-users list.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu