Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 13:16:37 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Numbering / 4.5-RELEASEp2

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:56:12PM +0200, Steve Mazerski wrote:
> What is 4.5-RELEASEp2 ?

4.5-RELEASE patchlevel 2 (at least, that's what I assume the p stands for)
With each security fix, I believe the p-number increments by one.  It is
the standard designation for the security releases (patched base system
and kernel source, incorporating the latest security-related fixes.)

> I ask because I downloaded 4.5-RELEASE a few days ago, and presume it is the
> newest version, though the files are dated around 28th / 29th January, well
> before the above advisory. The statement
>
> "1) Upgrade the vulnerable system to 4.4-RELEASEp9, 4.5-RELEASEp2,
>    or 4.5-STABLE after the correction date and rebuild."
>
> seems to imply there is a newer version "4.5-RELEASEp2", which includes the
> patched OpenSSH but I haven't seen any signs of such a beast.

Patch releases are available using cvsup.  Use the line

*tag=RELENG_4_5

in your cvsup command file to get the most recently published code in the
Security branch, then do a make buildworld.  (Check out chapter 19 in the
handbook for details of how to do this).

Alternatively, you can patch and rebuild each individual component as
detailed in the security advisories.  This is considerably quicker, as it
doesn't involve rebuilding the entire base system.

> Thanks
>
> Steve Mazerski

HTH,

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \