Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 2010 20:41:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
To:        spork@bway.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to pwd in ZFS snapshot

In article <alpine.OSX.2.00.1012261912460.43483@hotlap.local>,
spork@bway.net writes:

>Other gotchas would be some of the periodic scripts - you don't want
>locate.updatedb traversing all that, or the setuid checks.

locate.updatedb in 9-current doesn't do that, by default.  Arguably
you want the setuid checks to do it, so that you're aware of setuid
executables that are buried in old snapshots -- particularly if you
keep old snapshots of /usr around after a security update.

>Also I know I'm prone to sometimes doing a brute-force "find" which
>can also dip into those hundreds of snapshot dirs.  In general, I
>think having the directories hidden is a good default.

I could see the logic in having find not descend into .zfs directories
by default (if done in a sufficiently general way), although then
you'd have to introduce a new flag "yes, really, look at everything!"
for cases when that's not desirable.

-GAWollman