Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2013 13:07:21 -0500
From:      Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSD becomes detached 9.2

Hello,

On 11/23/13, 12:07 PM, Zoran Kolic wrote:
 > I have the same cpu and samsung 830 ssd also, just as 9.2.

As do I on another server (actually it is an 840 but not the EVO model)
running 9.2 (r256088) and has an uptime of 47 days (which is probably
when I compiled the kernel and rebooted) without this issue. Only
difference is the SSD is not the root device, it's a ZFS L2 ARC device,
but it is still online after 47 days. The root device is a zpool mirror
of two 1.5TB SATA drives.

 > I suggest putting the complete dmesg.

Is the pastebin link I put in the original email not sufficient? What
else are you after?

 > My idea would be to check out ethernet part of the system.

How would an ethernet cause a drive to detach? I'm not being facetious,
rather inquisitive.

In any event, I can telnet to the server and ping it, so it seems it is
connected to the outside world. Pinging shows no dropped packets.

 > Best bet is that ssd is not the problem at all. Another
 > check should include how you connect to the server, via some
 > router or else. Maybe you trigger something in firewall?

According to the logic of my pf rules, ping and telnet would be blocked
on my IP if it were blacklisted. They are not.

I further checked the firewall by accessing the server from two
alternate IP's, one from my mobile phone's network, and once by
resetting the IP on my home LAN. I am able to connect from both, but
cannot login to SSH, even though I know it's running since I have
console access via KVM. Further, a check of my firewall from the KVM
connection makes clear that my IP's are not blocked.